Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm a New York Socialite!

Each year the Library does its big benefit, Library Lions, and as a member of the Development staff we're asked to work the event.  I love getting dressed up. But in previous years we've been forced to wear all black. UGH.  I love to dress up, but black is not what I like to wear - I like color.  So last year I had to break out my old prom dress...GASP(!) because that's the only fancy black I had.  Thank the lord I had been going to the gym, because ten years later, it still fit.  But I know what you're thinking, you wore your prom dress from 1998??? Sounds like it could be a disaster.  Well, it wasn't because I have a good eye and try to choose classic pieces. As you can see, it's an elegant Nicole Miller dress (purchased for $50 from TJ Maxx) that is as good today (last year) as it was then (eleven years ago) and will be good into the future (to Infinity and BEYOND!). 


But this year, I purchased a new black dress (I don't repeat) only to learn three days before the event THAT WE DIDN'T HAVE TO WEAR BLACK!!!  I was estactic, but also annoyed because the person organizing the event had the nerve to say, when asked what we should wear, "I don't mandate color. It's a formal event, so what you wear should be appropriate to that."  I turned to my colleague and said, "She's a damn liar, she mandated color all last year.  What is she saying?"  But I took her at her word and decided to not wear black. And I think that was a good choice, because BAM...

Here I am on the New York Social Diary, courtesy of photographer Patrick McMullan.  Yeah, I'm working (literally working...I had to staff the silent auction table) the event and we were Patrick McM's test shot, but it's a good picture and my dress looks really pretty! I decided to go for something more playful this year.  So if someone is ever googling me, they'll probably come across this NYSD page, admire my dress and then concoct a story about my social life. Maybe they'll think I'm a B.A.P...LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment