Thursday, October 21, 2010

Twas the night before 30...

And I'm up in my house, packing for Bermuda thinking, "Should I bring this blouse?"

It's my last night in my twenties!!! I have been packing for Bermuda, but mostly I have been finishing work projects since I'll be on vacay for a week.  In my downtime I was thinking about this past year.  What did I do? What changed? Would I do anything differently?

There is a lot that remained the same and honestly, probably won't change in my 30s. For example, my glasses.  I've had the same glasses since 2007.  Though maybe I should look for new frames this year.  And while my hair has gotten longer, it's the same color and still slightly layered.  I keep saying that I'm going to get highlights, but...eh...I don't know if I'm feeling it.  I continued my daily workouts at NYSC and maintained my weight.

But my twenty-ninth year was far from ordinary.
So excuse all the "I"s, but what can I say. I was busy 29 year old!!

  • I got a new position within the Library and became the coordinator of membership for Schomburg Center.
  • I started booking work as a voice-over artist, earned a little extra cash here and there and tapped into the actor still hiding out within me.
  • I carved pumpkins!
  • I made Thanksgiving Dinner (including a turkey) all by myself! 
  • I found zip-up high boots that actually went over my calves! Thanks Tahari and Marshall's...hahaha
  • I kept my New Year's resolution to make a new entree each month...sort of. Sadly, in September I missed making something new, but I'll make two new things in October to make up for it.
  • I made a ridiculously good pepper steak...courtesy of my New Year's resolution. :P
  • I made Hummingbird cupcakes and they were delicious too...this had nothing to do with my resolution. :)
  • I raised $$ for one of my favorite organizations, Dress For Success. I knew my friends and family would support me, and I exceeded my goal. 
  • I had fun dating Mr. Meet Up, then we stopped speaking and now we're speaking/dating? again, but he lives in another state...sigh. (I know, I should figure this out. But the 29 year old in me is chilling. The 30 year old me will tackle this. ha!)
  • I got in a pool, wearing a bikini, while celebrating another 30 year old in Las Vegas. The pool and the bikini were two firsts for me.
  • I went to CUBA!
  • I learned to make some truly flavorful black beans and rice...Havana was my inspiration.
  • I attempted to learn to swim.  (I could do a whole other post about this.  But let's just say my 2nd instructor bounced, I'm getting my $$ back and I'll try again next summer.)
  • I got dressed up, took myself out dancing and then ordered room service while in DC for work.
  • I wore leggings, without covering my booty!
  • I found seashells at the sea shore. Basically, I went to Virginia Beach and actually found the beach enjoyable.
And....
  • I bought a co-op!! (Yeah. I need to post about this, but rest assured, this blog will take a new form, and perhaps a new look, and I'll tell you guys all about it then.)
With a little less than one hour to spare before October 22nd, that is my fantastic twenty-ninth "year-in-review." Would I have done anything differently? Not really. I'm still Shayla, but every experience changed me in someway, and hope that this growth continues with each year.
So...
Twenty-nine was WAY more than fine. I am thankful to have had another year and blessed that it was a great one. I eagerly look forward to my flirty thirties!!

I've come a long way since this first birthday...

1 comment: