Sunday, October 17, 2010

You're never too old...

To carve a pumpkin!!

Alright, it's common knowledge...I'm almost 30. That doesn't mean I'm too old to carve a pumpkin.  In fact, I think the older you are, the more fun it can be.  As an adult, you don't have to stick to basic shapes and boring faces simply because your juvenile hands aren't skilled or because you don't have the patience to create a masterpiece out of a gourd.

So last year was the first time I carved a pumpkin.  My friend and former colleague, Amy, invited me to her annual pumpkin carving party.  I decided to ask my arts and craftsy friend, Jinyoung aka JYC, to attend with me.  It was an interesting experience, with a lot of hard work and fun involved.

JYC and I were scraping out the guts...it's cold and slimy in there.
TADA!!
Looks even cooler with a candle.

This year JYC hosted her own pumpkin carving party.  It was a small affair with me, JYC and her two friends from grad school in attendance. We only had two pumpkins because one of her friends from grad school was a novice, so we shared and split the work.  The process was the same: cut a hole or star shap in the top, pop it off, scape the guts, stencil your design, and start carving.  Since we are "experienced" carvers (ha!), we decided to go for a more advanced design.  Her friends also chose an advanced design. I think one of the pair wanted to compete with us, and that was a mistake. 

They weren't as meticulous in carving, hacked away pieces that should have been left in tact, and thenwet home before they finished!  But they seemed to be having fun, and we were laughing and chatting the whole time, and that's all that matters.  In the end, my and JYC's pumpkin came out nicely. Even their pumpkin didn't look so bad. Of course JYC did some clean up work after they left.

Our ghoulish creation is on the right.
Even theirs looks cool in the dark. It had the potential to be really creepy.
 So I left my carving tools at JYC's because we plan on doing this again next year.  Who wants to join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment